Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Help for Plantar Fasciitis

Last month when I was told that I had Plantar Fasciitis I received a lot of tips and helpful advice from runners, trainers and even my sports chiropractor.
Today I would like to share with you what has worked well for me.  Like with any exercises, stretches and rehab, the more you do it, the better!

When working on these remember:

  1. Work out the muscle
  2. Stretch
  3. Ice
In that order!


Okay, let's get started!

Working the muscle

With plantar fasciitis there is inflammation, or irritation, in the muscle tissue of the foot.  You want to work to break up any knots, or "work out the kinks."

  • Roll a ball under your foot.  A small, hard ball will work best.  A golf ball or lacrosse ball is great.  If your foot is tender or sensitive go with something softer, like a racquetball or tee ball.
  • Massage.  Any sort of plastic massage thingamajig would be great.  Use a dab of lotion or massage oil and use enough pressure that you feel like you are loosening things up.
  • Place your fingers between yours toes.  Move your foot up and down, side to side and circles in both directions.  This helps promote circulation to the foot and toes.  





Stretch
  • Stand with your toes against the wall.  I find that it is easier when wearing shoes because it helps your foot to stay steady.  With the front leg straight lean against the wall and hold for 20 seconds.  This stretch will target your calf.  With the front knee slight bent lean into the wall again and hold for 20 seconds.  This targets the fascia along the foot.
  • Stand with your toes and ball of foot on a step with the heel off.  Lower the heel until you feel a stretch.  Again, do a straight leg and bent knee version.


Straight leg, bent knee



Straight leg, bent knee


Ice
  • Fill a plastic bottle 3/4 full of water and freeze.  Roll the bottle on the bottom of your foot.  Works wonders!
  • Use an ice pack and elevate and ice where your foot, ankle or calf is hurting.  No more than 15 minutes!

Doing these things, along with a few deep tissue massages and adjustments, I was back to running in no time!


Just 2 weeks after being in so much pain
I was wondering if I had a fracture,
I was out for a 4 mile run!

5 comments:

  1. I have been battling this (again) -thanks for the tips - I never ice. Need to do that.
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, thanks for stopping by. Plantar Fasciitis is so aggravating, isn't it? It's hard to remember to ice every day, especially in the winter months, but it makes such a big difference in helping to calm down the inflamed tissue.
      I hope you are back to 100% soon!

      Delete
  2. Excellent guidelines! These tips are gainful for all of those who have plantar fasciitis and want to get complete relief.back and neck pain bergen county , low back pain bergen county

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know are Achilles Tendon and Plantar Fascia both hurt at the same time?? Because in most of the articles almost everyone says these both relates to each other.

    shoe unboxed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was just plantar fasciitis, I did not have an injured achilles tendon. When my pf is bad, though, the pain does often extend up the leg.

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally