Thursday, January 31, 2013

Burpee Challenge!

Burpees.  You either hate them or...hate them.  But, really, they are a great total-body exercise that you can do pretty much anywhere.  You work chest, core, legs, glutes PLUS your heart rate gets elevated so doing several in a row provides a cardio burst to a circuit training workout.
Burpees also make for great "Commercial Break" workouts.  Do them during the commercial break of your favorite show!
The best part of a burpee is that you can do them anywhere, anytime.  Add it to your workout or make it the workout.  Squeeze your set for the day in whenever it is convenient.  I have been known to do them in my kitchen while cooking dinner or during a break a work :)

So, my challenge for you is to be able to do 30 burpees in a row by the end of the month.  I have come up with a training schedule for you to follow that will get your body conditioned and strong enough to do 30 in a row.





Click here for my post on the burpee.



Step 1 Squat down.
Step 2 Hop or step back to plank.
Step 3 Do a push up (in the beginning you can just hold plank for a few seconds and work towards a push up as the month goes on.)
Step 4 Hop or step back to the squat.
Step 5 Jump as high as you can!  (Can't jump?  Just reach your arms up over head, keeping your feet on the floor.)

A few extra tips:
  • When you are in plank make sure your shoulders are over your hands.
  • Keep your body in one straight line, shoulders down to heels, when you do your push-up.  Lower your body towards the floor but you have to be able to make it back up to plank cleanly, so don't go to low to soon.
  • If you can't hop back or forward keeping your legs/feet together, just step back.  Better to have good form than to injury yourself, right?
  • Shoes are optional, but I have found that wearing my trainers keeps my toes/feet happy.
  • After you do the assigned number of burpees make sure you keep moving, walking or marching in place, until your heart rate has gone back down.

So, who's joining me?
Comment below and let me know that you are participating.  
Take a picture today and then at the end of the challenge...I want to see some before and after pics, okay? 
ALSO!  Let's get this going on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter...where else?

Click on the training schedule for a printable version and feel free to take a screen shot of it on your phone and share away.  If you are the hashtagging type use #30burpeechallenge

Your day 1 of the challenge starts NOW.
Let's do this!



**helpful hint** to pin this post click on the blog title, scroll down and you will see the "Pin It" button.  Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how I hate these, they are killer!!! They seem to be more of a workout than some of the videos and running that I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very difficult! I get winded pretty quickly when doing burpees. Are you going to do the challenge!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So happy you are joining me! Keep me posted on how you are doing!

      Delete
  3. CONFESSION: I did my ten on Friday and haven't done any since then :( Although G did them with me so do I get to count hers? lol. I plan to just keep going and just be a little behind. My shoulders felt great on Saturday and I look forward to the overall benefit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids love to join in, too! I wish I got double points that way :)
      Jump back in today and just have today be your day 2.

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally