Thursday, July 5, 2012

The day after...

I hope that you had a great Fourth of July!  Mine was filled with swimming, grilling and fireworks.  Lots of fun, but today I am a little on the tired side from staying up later than normal.  I am also feeling a little sluggish from overindulging in holiday treats.  I have a definite weakness for sweet treats and there are always plenty of those at holiday parties.
Here are a few tips to get back on track:

1.  Don't let the fly spoil the broth.
Huh?  What does that have to do with your healthy lifestyle?  Well, lets say the over-indulgance in treats yesterday is the fly.  Your workouts/diet is the broth.  Just because you had two cheeseburgers, a cupcake and a couple margaritas yesterday does not mean that your diet is completely dead.  Jump right back on today.  Get plenty of water.  Don't skip meals today, that will only lead to possibly overeating tonight or tomorrow.  Instead, get lots of fresh veggies, a little fruit, some nuts and other healthy proteins.

2.  Let the Force be with you.
The force meaning you may have to "force" yourself to workout today.  I decided to do the elliptical today, which is usually fun for me.  I like to listen to my iPod and just get down to cardio business.  Today, however, I wanted to abandon ship after about 12 minutes.  How to break through that?
Scroll to your favorite song.  Imagine you are sweating out all of the chips and dip you had (or was that me?)  Write your shopping list in your head.  Before you know it, the timer will be up and your 20 or 30 minute workout will be complete!

3.  Don't beat yourself up.
This is my weakest area.  Self-loathing and guilt can often get to you if you went a little crazy with eating.  But, you know what?  No one is perfect.  Even the most strict dieters have a treat now and then.  You had a holiday.  You had 4 slices of pizza and a giant slushy. You feel bad, but let it go.  Remember the feeling next time, as your hand is reaching for a third or fourth serving of something less-than-healthy, but for now, move forward. 

I hope these tips help you.  
How was your holiday?
Did you over-indulge or did you stick to your diet?
What helps you stay on track or get back on track?
I would love to hear from you...

-Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally