Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Workout Wednesday V3

Today, I am so excited to introduce you to Anne Brammer.  I have worked with Anne since 2003 at the YMCA and have always looked to her as a role model, not just for health and fitness, but as a mom and wife as well.  She lights up a room, or gym, with her enthusiasm and genuine caring attitude.


Name:  Anne Brammer
Age: 48 (not a typo...I know...she looks at least 10 years younger!)
Occupation: Personal Trainer
Fun Stuff:  Mom to 3 college-aged+ children, exploring the world of cycling with her husband.

1) Where are you at right now with your fitness routine?
I am in a maintenance phase rather than a beginner or building phase.  Working out and eating right was a lifestyle change in order to stay where I want to be.

2)  What is a typical week like for you, for your workouts?
I do cardio at least 3-5 times a week based on how I feel.  Some days I will workout longer at a lower intensity, but when I am feeling really energized I will ramp up the intensity.  Treadmill and biking are a couple of my cardio sources.  I strength train 3 times a week, mostly working with free weights.

3)  Now that your children are out on there own do you find it easier to workout or is it easier to slack off?
It is definitely easier now.  I have more time in my day.  My husband and I work out together, also.  We  have started biking together, mostly on trails.  Biking feels different, more energizing, to me than walking or running.

4)  What is your least favorite workout?
Abs and leg work is not something I necessarily look forward to.  I hired a trainer and worked with him 30 minutes 2 times a week to get motivated and learn new ways to sculpt my core.  A trainer needs a trainer!  I have been able to continue doing the ab work and it has also helped me have new exercises to share with my clients.

5) Do you follow a strict nutrition plan?
I count calories.  I don't know how to not count calories, I can't help it!  I use paper and pen and total it at the end of each day.  I am big on measuring what I eat, portion control is a big thing.  I have been doing that since 2007.  I feel like I need to count calories to give my willpower a boost.  When I count calories it's easy to see that a handful of almonds is way better than a handful of chips.  If I absolutely "need" chips, I will count them out.  It would be easy for me to eat multiple servings if I don't portion my treats out.

6) Do you ever cheat on your diet?
I slack every now and then, but I know that I can ramp it up when needed [because I will be at work, at the gym, within a few days].  I love Italian food.  When my husband and I eat out we split the entree and order an extra salad.  It helps so much when your spouse is on board.  We went away for our anniversary and splurged a little, having cheesecake and coffee for lunch, but for dinner we kept it light and healthy.

7)  How did you become a personal trainer?
After my third child it was really tough to lose the baby weight.  I tried shakes and pills, but it just wasn't for me.  I began to do aerobics and joined the YMCA.  I read an article that talked about how important strength training was to weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight.  I decided to try weight lifting and was hooked!  I first worked in Childwatch (childcare), then the fitness floor.  In 2005 I became and ACE certified personal trainer. 

8) What does being a personal trainer involve, for you?
I work with people of all ages.  Twenties all the way up to people in their seventies.  I work with stroke victims, helping them to stay strong and sometimes re-learn body movements.

Personal Training for every stage!

9)  Do you have any advice for moms needing motivation?
Don't try to be a martyr, be a mother, but take care of yourself.  If you aren't working on yourself, how well are you really doing in the other areas of your life?

Anne's Back & Bicep Workout:
  • One arm bent over dumbell row  3 sets, 8-12 reps
  • Wide grip pulldowns (machine)  3 sets, 8-12 reps
  • Close-grip seated cable row (machine)  3 sets, 8-12 reps
  • Straight-arm pulldowns (machine)  3 sets, 15-20 reps
  • Barbell curls  3 sets, 8-12 reps
  • Incline (bench) dumbell curls  3 sets, 15-20 reps
  • Preacher (bench) curls  3 sets, 15-20 reps
Anne's tip:  A 4 day training split, I focus on two muscle groups per workout.  The exercises include both multijoint and isolation movements. 

Barbell Curls
Look at those guns!




















What a great upper body workout!  If you want to try this workout but aren't sure what weight to start with, talk to a personal trainer just like Anne!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally