Thursday, March 15, 2012

On teaching...

I taught a class of 11 today.  Mat Pilates.  I had 4 new students in the class.  After teaching Pilates for the last 5 years, I know which exercise are going to be difficult for new students.  Roll Up, Spine Stretch Forward and Saw seem to really be hard, because there is so much going on.  As I was teaching today I slowed down the pace, gave clear cues, and only one or two cues at a time.  The class as a whole had great form and I only had to adjust the new students a handful of times.  Am I patting myself on the back?  Sure!  But it also has made me step back and, yet again, be thankful that I have taken the time, effort and, yes, money, to become classically trained.  I LOVE my Peak Pilates certification!  It is because of the teaching technique they use that I am able to go from teaching a one-on-one Reformer class to a large group mat class seamlessly.  If you are an instructor--keep teaching!  Practice makes perfect.  If you are a student--make sure your instructor has a national certification and the ability to keep your body safe!
Breathe :)
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally