Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Workout Wednesday


Brand new blog, brand new feature!  One of the things I am most excited about doing on this blog is "Workout Wednesday".  Each week I will post a short interview followed by a sample workout of someone that I think is awesome.  Maybe it will be a fellow trainer.  Maybe it will be a student I am inspired by.  Maybe it will be the cute older man that walks all afternoon around my neighborhood.  Who knows?  You have to stay tuned to find out.  Because this is my first Workout Wednesday, I will start with myself.  

Name:  Sally Whitaker
Age: 32
Occupation:  Manager of a fitness studio and Pilates trainer/personal trainer
How many days a week do you work out?  4-7...but usually 5
What is your most favorite form of exercise?  I have so many!  But if forced to pick I choose running.  And Pilates.
Favorite healthy food:  It's a tie between celery and those little Cutie mandarin oranges
Favorite treat:  FroYo or anything chocolate-coconut

Okay, I could continue the Q&A more, and I will when I am interviewing someone else, but for now I will wrap it up.  I don't want to tell to much about myself on day 1, right?

Here is a sample workout.  A workout that I would do myself, not one I would create to teach :)

Cardio:
Interval running on the treadmill.
5 minute walking warm-up, 4.0 pace, increasing the incline by 2.0 each minute until i reach 4:30 on the timer.  Then  I take the incline down to 0 and prepare to run!
For 10 minutes (from 5:00-15:00) I alternate each minute from a moderately fast running pace to a sprint.
Example:
7.0 pace for minute 5-6
8.6 pace for minute 6-7
Back to the 7.0 pace for minute 7-8
Alternating back and forth for 10 minutes.  
Finish with 5 minute walking cool-down at 4.0 pace, again adjusting the incline by 2.0 each minute.  At 20:00 minutes I take the incline down and I am finished.

Weights:
Lat-Pulldown Machine to keep my upper back strong and toned.  
50 pounds, 2 sets of 12-15 reps

Leg Extension Machine to keep my quadriceps strong for running
65 pounds, 2 sets of 15 reps

Leg Curl Machine to keep my hamstrings strong and to keep IT band pain at bay
65 pounds, 2 sets of 15 reps

Core/Balance Training:
I love to go through the complete classical Pilates Intermediate Mat work.  It is challenging and not only does it lengthen and tone my muscles, it also keeps me it "fighting form" so that I can successfully teach.

Several years ago I would spend hours on the weight floor.  Due to not wanting to be bulky and my ever-intensifying love for Pilates, I limit my weight lifting only to what I know I need to stay strong and functional.  But more on that another day!

If you are interested in being featured on Workout Wednesday, email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally