Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Posture Perfect

Today I have 3 moves to help you strengthen your core, perfect your posture, and just get a good stretch.

As you can see, I did these with a chair in my bedroom.  You can do these anywhere!  Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so I know a lot of you will be spending time in the kitchen.  There are plenty of chairs in that room, so give these a try...while the potatoes are boiling, between basting or filling a pie.   You'll feel loads better!


Spine Stretch Forward

Sit with your legs long in front of you, about hip (or chair) width apart.  Press your rear into the floor and lift your ribs away from your hips.  Arms are resting on the chair, draw your shoulder blades together behind your back.
Inhale.
As you exhale, slide your arms along the chair, head is relaxed down.  Lift, or round, your belly away from your legs.  Imagine leaning onto a barrel.
Repeat 5 times.

The deep breaths are important!  You will feel energized and more clear-headed, so don't forget to breathe!


Teaser

Start by lying on your back, calves supported by the chair.  Legs are in Pilates "V" which is heels together, toes fist width apart.  Arms reach up towards the ceiling, but are relaxed into the shoulder joint.  Scoop here.
Inhale.
As you exhale, curl chin to chest to look at your navel.  Allow your abdominals to draw you up to seated, "reaching for your toes.  You do not have to get as high as I am in the picture.  Only go as high as you can with the abdominals doing the work.
Roll back down with control.
Repeat 5 times.
For teaser I tell my students "Squeeze a walnut between your shoulder blades and don't let it go!"




Triangle

Stand with the chair behind you.  My right leg has toes facing forward, left foot facing to the side.  Think "Align front heel with back arch" and you will have the right foot placement.  Right arm is resting on the chair, elbow directly under the shoulder.  Keeping both legs straight raise the left arm next to the ear.  If you are tight this may be difficult.  You can keep the right arm (bottom arm) straight if you would like.  Stand evenly into both legs.  The arm is on the chair for balance, but you shouldn't put a lot of pressure on it.
Hold the stretch for 3-5 breaths and then get the other side.


You can get all 3 of these in within about 5 minutes.  Give them a try!  I would love to see you trying these out during your Thanksgiving prep...send me pictures and I will share them!  

Speaking of Thanksgiving preparation.  I often get asked what I eat, how I eat, when I eat.  So, you want to know how I eat the day before a holiday where I know I will be eating a hearty meal?
Today I will be eating raw, fresh veggies and fruit as much as possible.  I will eat a handful of almonds or walnuts at lunch time and dinner time.  Lots and lots of water.  At least 1 glass per hour.  I will *try* to avoid all heavy foods, sweets, etc.  

Have a wonderful, happy Thanksgiving!  Get outside.  Enjoy your family and friends.  Put your phone down.  Okay, that last one is specifically for me to try.





xoxo  Sally

1 comment:

  1. Wow I need to work on this myself! My posture sucks :P

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally