Wednesday, August 22, 2012

5 Day Slim Down

I am so excited about today's post!  I have a guest writer today, my best friend Veronica Batton.  She was nice enough to write about the nutrition plan I gave her for the week before her wedding.  Before we get started, though, I will share with you what prompted the nutrition plan.

  In addition to being best friends for nearly 15 years and being the maid of honor, I have also worked with Veronica as her Pilates trainer.  It was a Sunday morning last April, 6 days before Veronica's wedding. She sent me a text saying that her wedding dress was too tight, that she didn't like the way she looked, and was even contemplating a new dress.  I told her that I would come take a look, which I did.  The dress, which is a gorgeous Vera Wang btw, looked fabulous but did look a bit snug.  I remember saying:  "If my wedding was a week away, here is what I would eat." What I shared with her is a nutrition plan that I have designed to help banish water weight, cleanse the system, and help you feel better. She took notes and after I left headed to the grocery store.  She did a fabulous job with the diet and it was fun motivating her throughout the week via text messages.  By Friday she was glowing, had shed a couple pounds and, more importantly, felt better in the dress and in her body.  
This diet is not just for brides-to-be.  You could use it prior to any special occasion (high school reunion or family pictures anyone??) , to kick-off a new nutrition routine or to bust through a plateau.

The plan:

Day 1:  Cleanse the system and give yourself a blank canvas
Veggies and fruit only today.  Variety is key.  Berries and bananas for breakfast, apple slices and celery for a snack.  Lunch a spinach salad topped with red peppers, carrots, broccoli.  Berries and cucumbers for a snack.  Make dinner another huge salad of spinach, red leaf lettuce, top it with as many veggies and fruits as you like.  The idea is to give your body plenty of healthy, fresh food, not to go into starvation.  Snack on veggies or fruit anytime you are hungry.  Make you salads big enough to be satisfying.
Dress your salad with:
Citrus Vinaigrette
Equal parts lemon juice and olive oil.  Add black pepper and herbs if you like.

Day 2:
Fruit for breakfast
Fruit and/or veggies for snack
Salad for lunch.  Today you can add nuts to you salads or snack.  Limit the amount to 4-6 almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc. per meal.
Dinner is another big salad with as many leafy greens and veggies as you would like.  You can add 3-4 ounces lean protein like grilled chicken or fish.  A hard-boiled egg is also a great protein choice.


Days 3, 4, 5 continue just like Day 2.

Trainer's tips:

Salads will be your friend!

  • Get plenty of water.  Drink a full 8 ounces when you wake up.  Drink a half ounce for every pound you weigh.  So, if you weigh 150 lbs get no less than 75 ounces each day.
  • Stock up on fruits and veggies before you start the diet.  Chop, slice and dice and place everything in easy to reach containers in your fridge.  This way it will all be ready to go.
  • Variety is key.  If you try to do this eating only strawberries and lettuce you will starve and miss the benefits.  Get as many different veggies and fruits as you can.
  • Continue to work out but this is not the week to run 7 miles or do a strenuous bootcamp.  30 minute walks, a 1-2 mile jog, yoga or Pilates are great.
  • As you can see you don't get bread or grains for these 5 days.  Ease them back into your diet at the end of this plan.  If you immediately go and eat pizza and breadsticks you are going to feel uncomfortably bloated.
  • Healthy fats are your friend!  Olive oil for your salads, nuts throughout the day, and avocado for meals and snacks will help you be nourished and satisfied.  Again, the point of this is not to be starving but to be healthy.
  • Dairy is up to you.  If a babybel cheese is going to get you through the day, then have it.  But don't order the cheese platter or down a milkshake :)
  • Water, tea, coffee (no sugar, no cream, no sweetener) for liquids.  Water first!
And now...here is Veronica's thoughts on the slim down program:

"I remember leaving David's Bridal and feeling a wave of shame and regret hit me square in the face. 
I was too fat for my wedding dress. 
After a talk with Sally, and a hysterical fit of rocking back and forth in my dark bedroom, I was ready to begin her plan. 
Sally was my maid of honor at my wedding, and she did an amazing job. 
"Do you think I can lose five or more pounds in a week?" I asked.
She said she could give me a meal plan that would definitely make me feel more comfortable in my dress on my wedding day. I was sold. 
She came over the next day to see the damage. 
She said it wasn't as bad as I said it was, and there was no need to buy a bigger dress. I looked in the mirror and saw a corset line running along the waistline. My gut was pushing against the lining, and every line was visible. I felt awful.
I finally stopped brooding and went to the farmer's market to get some spinach and assorted lettuce leaves. 
I remember the first day I was grateful for coffee. 
The first two to three days were pretty tough. I remember texting Sally every 7 minutes or so to ask, "Can I have eggs? It's protein," or "So, what about a piece of cheese?" 
It was tough, but I managed to stay true and was focused on walking down the aisle in my wedding dress. 
Every day, I would prepare my salad for lunch and watch with envy as those around me devoured bread rolls, crackers, cookies and any other carb you can call to mind.
After the third day, I was beginning to get used to the diet and my cravings were starting to die down. 
I remember the fifth day I was grateful for red and yellow bell peppers. 
I was on the diet for eight days. The day of my wedding Sally helped me slip my dress on and zipped me up. 
It was effortless.
My dress felt so comfortable and I felt great in what I was wearing.  I looked in the mirror and saw a beautiful streamlined Veronica in a Vera Wang, and, best of all, NO LINE! 
I felt amazing on my wedding day and it's all thanks to Sally."

Thank you again to Veronica for sharing her experience!
Isn't she lovely?
Had to include one with me...I love my dress, too!


Let me know if you have any questions about the program!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely ladies! Looked like a good time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful day! I wish she would have a wedding each week :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally