Friday, August 24, 2012

Grilled Avocado

I love avocados.  They are creamy and satisfying and a great, meatless, way for me to get healthy fat and protein.
Like just about everyone else out there I like to scroll through my Pinterest feed and look for ideas.  For a while I would re-pin posts and my pin board became like a black hole, pins would go there never to be seen again.  So the past month or so I have been trying to actually look at the pins and try them out.  One pin that seemed to circulate this summer was grilled avocados.  I had never even dreamed of grilling an avocado.  HAD to try it.  The first time I prepared it and JF put it on his charcoal grill.  Second time I did it on our electric grill (like a George Foreman grill).  Both were tasty, the latter was a lot easier!
How I grill an avocado:

Slice your avocado in half
Brush with olive oil
Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper
Place face down on a medium-hot grill for about 5 minutes.  Using a spatula flip it over to check for handsome grill marks and crispy browning.  If needed place it on the grill a few more minutes.
Gorgeous!

Insiders tip:  when the avocado looks done place it skin side on the grill just for a minute or two to warm the inner layer.
Scoop the avocado out to eat it.

Now that I have had grilled avocado it's all I want!  The grilling really brings out the flavor.  
Try a variety of spices in addition to or instead of the salt and pepper.

I paired my grilled avocado with simmered black beans and fresh, chopped, tomatoes.

Deliciously clean food!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! That looks so good i am thinking of trying it tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely do! It is really easy to make and so good! Let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally