Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Veggie Mini Muffins


If you are still reading this then that means you weren't completely turned off by the idea of veggie muffins.  Thank you for being brave!

I have a love-hate relationship with my juice extractor.  I love it because I am able to juice veggies and fruit to create new juices and a fun way to get veggies I may otherwise not eat.  I hate it because I don't like all of the wasted pulp post-juicing.  So, this last Sunday, I made beet-carrot juice and decided to try a recipe using the pulp from my juicer.  If you do not like beets, you will definitely want to do carrot pulp only or another combo that you prefer. I like the taste of beets, but the flavor is very overpowering. I think apple-carrot would be excellent.  If you do not have a juicer you can just use a fine grater on the carrots, apples, beets, etc.

I found a fancy little recipe at Picklesnhoney.com

When I make a recipe I tend to switch up things to tailor it more to my liking, but this recipe is absolutely perfect just like it is!  Click on the link for the recipe!  I made no modifications, but, since the recipe leaves some options for ingredients I will share with you what I used:

1/2 cup juicer pulp - I used a carrot/beet mixture
Instead of her 1/4 cup Agave I used local honey, just because that's what I had on hand.
Instead of 1/4 cup coconut oil I used olive oil, again because it is what I had on hand.
I used whole wheat flour rather than gluten-free because we tolerate gluten just fine.


I just love the pretty pink color of the dough!
Perfect little muffins



The muffins turned out wonderful, with a hint of pretty pink.  I put butter on them when they were still warm from the oven and they were delicious.  Both boys loved them, Ezra ate 4 immediately and has been snacking on them all week!  I have been topping them with a little peanut butter for a quick, healthy breakfast or snack.  I have been storing them in the fridge to extend their life a bit.

This recipe is definitely going to become a weekly staple for me.  I love having healthy snacks on hand for myself and the boys.

Kid tested, approved, and loved!



I am also looking forward to trying more recipes from PicklesnHoney!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally