Monday, September 3, 2012

Lazy Days

Hanging out on the couch


As a Pilates instructor I don't get many lazy days.  We all have those mornings, driving into work, where we feel like another cup of coffee is needed.  Or a nap.  But for me, once I walk in the door at the studio, I have to be on.  Teaching a cycle class.  Working one-on-one for with a client.  Teaching a four person Reformer class.  And those students are counting on ME to be the energizing force in the room.  So much for a case of the Mondays ;)  Hold on.  I am not complaining.  Definitely not.  I love that my job keeps me moving.  Each hour my job changes.  Manager creating a new schedule or contacting local media.  Pilates instructor working with a client.  Teaching Yoga to a group of 6.  Lifting weights in Cross Training.  And that is just one shift!  It's amazing, it's fun, it is everything I could ask for in a job.  But I do get tired sometimes.  In the past I would just keep pushing through being tired, being stressed.  But I have learned to read those signals and take time to care for my body.  Every few months I need to take a lazy day, or two, in order to stay healthy and happy.

In case you missed it here is what my typical work week looks like.

Lots of teaching and 3-4 of my very own workouts.  That is why I need to put on the brakes sometimes.  And that is just what I did on Friday.  The studio where I work is closed for Labor Day Weekend.  Friday just happened to be a cloudy, rainy day.  After a busy first week of school Levi was perfectly happy to just hang out at home.  We watched movies, cuddled under a quilt and made play dough.  That evening I made a big batch of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies and ate more than my fair share.  On my lazy weekends I tend to eat a little more than usual.  I feel kind of like a bear gathering up my fat stores.  Except I am not preparing for hibernation, I am preparing for major and near constant activity.
On Saturday the family and I went out for brunch.  Normally I would get something with fruit and eggs and all healthy-ish.  This time I had biscuits and gravy with over-easy eggs.JF made the comment that he had never witnessed me eating biscuits and gravy in the 11 years we have been together.  But I had been craving it and thought "why not?"  And a couple of stolen bites of Levi's french toast.  If you have never had biscuits and gravy from First Watch I highly suggest them.  
Saturday evening was spent watching movies and snacking on my latest obsession: baguette and Brie.
So for Friday and Saturday I did not workout all all.  This is a pretty big deal for a workout junkie like myself.  But I can honestly say that I feel rested and re-energized from my lazy days.  I was able to run 4.5 miles yesterday and today I am back to fruits, veggies and lots of lean protein...yay for nuts!  I am also starting the Green Smoothie Challenge today, make sure to check Katherine's blog for a tasty smoothie recipe.  7 days of adding extra greens.  I am so excited!
Gloopy, gloppy fun!

Plenty of chocolate chips for cookies :)


Bread and brie.  Add marinated artichokes for even more magic!

How has your weekend been?  What do you do when you feel the need to re-charge?

2 comments:

  1. Way to actually be lazy...that is key sometimes...glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am ready for another lazy day already!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally