Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My thoughts on Resolutions

New year, new resolutions.  I am in the business of helping people with their New Years resolutions.  One of the things we count on each year is the bump of new and returning students in the New Year.  As a manager and instructor, it's great.  
But my personal feelings?  New Years Resolutions are just setting you up for failure.  Rather than resolving to lose weight, cut out junk food, stop smoking, etc, I think it is better to set up easy-to-reach goals.  We all like a nice checklist, right?

Here is the deal.  When we say "I am giving up candy." what it turns into, typically, is for the days or weeks leading up to said moment, we tend to over eat or over indulge.  It makes sense, right?  On January 1 I am giving up candy.  So from now until then I am going to eat as much candy as possible.  And then, on January 1, your body is so used to that increased sugar, or fat or nicotine, that it craves it even MORE.  Plan instead to slowly wean whatever it is out of your daily life, in a smart way.

So instead of going cold turkey on one thing, create New Years Goals that will help you to be the healthiest person you can be.

Here is my list for 2013:

  • Cut back on sugar.
  • Get outside as often as possible.
  • Try new forms of cardio (to be kinder to my joints.)
  • Put down my iPhone.
I am not expecting magic to happen over night.  If I have a cookie or spend too much time on Instagram one day I will not completely give up on this list.  I will keep trying.

What are some of your goals for 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally