Wednesday, June 19, 2013

2 exercises to strengthen even the weakest core

"I would go to Pilates, but my core is to0 weak."

"I want to try yoga, but I am not flexible enough."

"I want to get a haircut but I have too many split ends."

Okay, so the last sentence we would never say, right?  Having split ends IS a reason to get a haircut.  You wouldn't take scissors to your own head, chop it up, and THEN go to the salon.  But the first two sentences I hear all the time.  I get it.  No one wants to be the weakling in a class, but we all have to start somewhere.

Today I am sharing two exercises to get you started.
I did these two exercises to get ready to go back to teaching after having L.  I also give these exercises to my students that have an extremely weak core.  You can do these in the comfort of your own home before heading to class.  Core work can be done everyday, but to begin try every other day.

Plank with knee kiss
Start in plank with shoulders over wrists, shoulders-hips-heels align.  Lower your knees to "kiss" or "stamp" the floor and then lift.  Start with 5.  Build to doing 10, then 2-3 sets of 10.




^ ^ ^ 


One Arm Plank
From plank, lower your right knee.  Bring your right hand in to align with your knee.  Turn the toes of your left foot out, raising your right arm, turing your gaze up to your left hand.  Hold for 10 seconds.


When you are ready (can take days, weeks, even months...be patient!) Slide the right leg out with the left, toes also turned to the side, legs staggered for balance.


 Repeat on the other side.

As always, before beginning, make sure a doctor has given you the okay to exercise.  If something hurts, don't do it!

1 comment:

  1. I've been working on my core so that my back feels nice and strong. I'm gonna start doing these too!:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment. I will respond on this page, so make sure you you check the "Notify Me" box below right so that we can chat!
-Sally